Salad nicoise (nee-suahz) is one of the refreshing types of salad. You can make the dressing ahead and put it in a fridge. Use it once yours is ready. Do not forget to prepare the hard-boiled eggs at the beginning of cooking time.
Classic salad nicoise is a popular French dish that is similar to American Cobb but without avocado, bacon, and chicken. Even though it is originally from Frenchmen country, some countries including America have modified it a little bit to adjust the flavor and the taste.
“It is a composed salad with anchovies or sometimes tuna, potatoes, and green beans.”
Therefore, chefs all over the world have their own recipe of this dish. The one we are going to disclose is Jamie Oliver’s salad nicoise with a little modification in non-halal ingredients.
Nutrition Highlights (Each Serving)
There are 300 calories, 14 g carbs, 18 g fat, and 19 g proteins in this salad. The other nutrients and vitamins are including 1 mcg vitamin D (5% of an adult’s daily intake), 62 mg calcium (5%), 647 mg potassium (14%), and 2 mg iron (11%).
Ingredients for Making Salad Nicoise
- 2 small heads of lettuce
- 4 anchovy fillets (salted one)
- 1 big handful of baby beetroots’ leaves
- 500 g raw baby beetroots
- 1 tsp dates vinegar
- 1 tsp baby capers
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 12 eggs (quail eggs can be an excellent option)
- 150 g French beans
- 1 bunch of soft herbs mixtures including tarragon, chervil, and chives
- 100 g cherry tomatoes that are already ripe
- 4 pieces of bread of sourdough (optional)
How to Cook Jamie Oliver’s Salad Nicoise
- Clean and wash the anchovies. After that, put them in a clean bowl.
- Trim the lettuce leaves. Then, wash, spin-dry, and put them on a plate.
- Prepare two big pans filled with boiling water. Keep a couple of beetroots after washing them and put the rest into one of the big pans. Leave it for 5 minutes until it is soft. After that, use the mandolin slicer to slice the rest of the beetroots you keep before.
- Whisk the capers, mustard, oil, and vinegar together to make the dressing. Next, season it with black pepper and sea salt.
- Use a colander to drain the beetroots until they are dry. After that, peel the skins away when they are cool enough to touch (you can wear gloves to do this). Then, slice any bigger beetroots into two.
- Move the beetroots to a bowl and pour them for the half dressing.
- For the French beans, trim them.
- Add the French beans and quail eggs in the other pan and simmer them for around 4 minutes. Drain them. After that, slice the eggs into two once you have peeled them.
- Prepare the herbs and chop them for the dressing. Keep the rest of them.
- Cut the tomatoes in a half; place them in the bowl with the anchovies and lettuce. You can put the rest of them over the dressing, too.
- Add the raw and cooked beetroots gently as well as the green beans and the eggs. After that, take the rest of the herbs and scatter them over the bowl.
- If you like the warm sliced sourdough bread, serve the salad with it.
Salad nicoise is one of the best food options for those who are going through a healthy diet or just for your daily lunch. Do you have another way to make the dressing? Share it with us!