Everyone has been admiring and eating lamb shank dishes, but never thought of cooking them. It is due to a strenuous task to cook the meat on the stovetop very slowly.
Sometimes, for better taste, you can make the curried lamb shank two days in advance. This curry seasoning is incredibly delicious.
“Middle Eastern flavor recipe creates super tender meats that cook in traditional ground spices.”
When cooking on the stovetop, lamb shanks will be tender for about two hours. Slowly simmering them in liquid over a low flame is the key to obtaining soft meats.
However, a pressure cooker will help to speed things up. Ensure to add enough water in your cooking pot to avoid drying up. Furthermore, tenderize the lamb shank before mixing with any spices. These following instructions give detailed steps to prepare the dish.
Nutrition Info in a Lamb Shank
There are 771 calories in one serving size of the Middle Eastern curry lamb recipe with 589 grams per shank.
Further details of the nutrition calculation of the dish are 387 grams of fat, 15 grams of total carbohydrate, 77 grams of protein, 248 mg cholesterol, and 442 mg sodium.
How to Make Middle Eastern Lamb Recipes
Ingredients You Need
- 6 lamb shanks
- 4 onions
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 stem of ginger
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 pint of water
- 200 ml of oil
- A pinch of fenugreek seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
Procedures of How to Cook
- Firstly, remove the shanks’ excess tissue that holds the meat. Use hot water to wash them. Leave to drain after washing.
- Secondly, crush one stem of ginger, then chop the garlic and onions.
- Thirdly, place the lamb shanks, ginger, garlic, onions, salt, and water in a pressure cooker.
- After 30 minutes, check the shanks to know how tender they feel. If the meats are still hard, add more water and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Next, heat oil in a large pot and add all spices. Wait until they release the aroma.
- Then, pour that classic braised lamb shanks from your pressure cooker to the large pot.
- After that, cook the shanks in spices for 15 minutes and stir occasionally. Add more water to have more gravy in your curry.
- Cover the pot after pouring the water and simmer over a low flame until they become as tender as you like.
- Finally, garnish with fresh coriander after removing the heat, and your dish is ready to serve.
In this recipe, the lamb shanks feel softer, but the meat remains on the bone. If you favor the very tender one so that it would fall off the bone, cook for longer.
Moreover, you can experiment with fat, seasonings, and spices. Opting for butter instead of oil seems to be a good idea. To create creamier texture in your curry, add butter with a splash of cream. Serve the dish with bread or rice to soak up the creamy sauce.
Finally yet importantly, Middle Eastern dishes let your family travel somewhere exotic. Worth things come to those who wait for this slow-cooked curry lamb shank. That easy mouthwatering recipe will be great for Sunday supper.