This is another excellent choice for a vegetarian dish: pasta Peperonata. This is a popular classic serving that originated from southern Italy.
Making this type of pasta is as same as doing chili or marinara. The longer the cooking process of the Peperonata, the more flavored the taste will be.
Amazingly, this dish is still a perfect fit for any pasta sauce whether it is spicy, sweet, or savory! This recipe will include yellow and red peppers to add some freshness. Peperonata will be the new dish you like when served over spaghetti, penne, or rigatoni.
“It is a stew consists of tomatoes, onions, and peppers.”
Nevertheless, Peperonata is also great to be pizza topping. Therefore, you could serve this dish in multiple ways. Even though the recipe is light, you can add some sugar to balance the taste.
Nutrition Highlights (Each Serving)
There are 604 calories, 30% fat, 20% fat, 21% saturates, 0% sugar, 47% protein, and 35% carbs. This nutrition per serving is based on an adult’s reference intake.
Ingredients for Making Pasta Peperonata
- 2 yellow peppers
- 1 tsp honey Vinegar
- 2 red peppers
- 2 red onions
- Extra olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 heaped tsp crème Fraiche or cheese (optional)
- 450 g spaghetti, penne, or rigatoni
- 2 handfuls cheese (it’s recommended to use Parmesan)
- 2 handfuls of parsley that is fresh and flat-leaf
How to Cook Easy Pasta Peperonata
- Slice the peppers after deseeding it. Then, put the slices in a big frying pan over moderate heat. After that, add a pinch of black pepper, sea salt, and some olive oil.
- Put a lid on, cook, and wait for 15 minutes to soften them. To bring out the flavor, do not cook the peppers too fast because when you do it slowly, the result will be worth the time.
- Finely slice the onion after peeling it while waiting for the peppers. Next, peel and grate the garlic. Cut the parsley leaves carefully and reserve their stalks.
- In the pan, put the onion and cook for around 15 minutes. After that, add the parsley stalks and the garlic. Just toss them around and make sure every single ingredient in the pan is moving. Cook for around 2 minutes.
- Try how it tastes; add some salt and pepper if it is still bland. Next, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar into the pan.
- Use grater for the Parmesan and add one handful of the crème Fraiche or mascarpone (if used) along with the Parmesan. A tip for you: cook the pasta in the minimum heat.
- In the meantime, place a big pot filled with water to boil. Then, put the pasta into it and follow the instruction in the packet of how to cook. Use a colander to drain after cooking. Reserve the water.
- In a big warmed bowl, put the parsley leaves, pasta, and peppers. Pour a little bit of water from the pasta cooking before and some drops of olive oil. The oil helps the pasta coating perfectly.
- Use the rest of the Parmesan on the top of the pasta as a sprinkle.
The recipe is for four servings. The estimation time for cooking is around 1 hour. Pasta Peperonata is perfect for your lunch or dinner. It can be a great idea to serve it when family or friends visit you. Happy cooking!