“Tiropita cheese pie is a popular Greek dish that makes for an appetizer.”
This cheese pie recipe adds with feta stuffing. However, you might find another cook with different filling. Some people combine feta with parmesan and ricotta, while others use cottage cheese or Greek yogurt.
‘Pita’ means pie in Greek cuisine. It comes into a wide range of sizes and shapes. You can make tiropita as individuals or in a large pan and cut into serving portions. Furthermore, layered phyllo dough makes flaky pastry. This crust combines mixtures of cheese and egg as the traditional filling.
Greek pastries can be both sweet and savory. Cheese pie recipe with sweet taste adds sugars in its crust and stuffing. You have probably known about spanakopita with spinach and feta filling or kotopita, chicken pot pastry. They have a savory taste. As well, crisp phyllo wraps them like tiropita.
Here is a delicious Tiropita pie recipe with easy steps to follow. Little handy phyllo crust comes with flavorful and creamy cheese filling. You can modify the ingredients depending on what materials are available at home.
Nutrition Facts of Cheese Pie Recipe
Tiropita pies with cheesy filling have excellent sources of calcium. They have lower fat, far from a cheddar-cheese-pie recipe. One serving size provides 154 calories, 63 mg cholesterol, and 12 grams of total fat.
Other nutrition in cheese pie recipe (about 30 grams per piece) is sodium, potassium, protein, and carbohydrate. Furthermore, it also has decent amounts of vitamins (A, B-6, B-12, C, D, and E), folate, riboflavin, and selenium.
Therefore, incorporating some kinds of cheeses into your tiropita may help you achieve the daily intake of calcium. The dish that mixes in parmesan and ricotta creates super tasty and smooth filling wrapped by crispy phyllo.
Ingredients of Greek Cheese Pie Recipe
- 224 grams feta cheese
- 84 grams ricotta or cottage cheese
- 84 grams grated Parmesan cheese
- Two eggs
- 224 grams (24 sheets) thawed phyllo dough
- Six tablespoons melted butter (salted or unsalted)
Instructions to Make Tiropita Cheese Pie
To Make Cheese Filling
- Set your oven to 177oC.
- Prepare a large bowl to mix the cheeses.
- Add a pinch of salt as needed and taste it.
- Crack the eggs and mix well.
- Set aside and go on to make pie crust.
To Make The Pies
- First, make a layered crust from three sheets of phyllo dough. Add melted butter in each layer.
- Second, cut the dough into strips (the size is three inches wide).
- Third, fill in each layered phyllo with one tablespoon of stuffing.
- Then, fold the dough to create a triangle that envelops the filling.
- Next, arrange the triangle pies on a baking sheet and use butter to brush the top.
- After that, keep up with the remaining dough and filling.
- Finally, bake until puffy and golden brown for about 30 minutes.
You can place the remaining unbaked cheese pie in your freezer for later. Store these frozen snacks in an airtight container and bake when needed.
Everyone is sure to enjoy this breakfast food for an appetizer. Additionally, you can eat as a snack during the day. Mix only feta and eggs in your cheese pie recipe to get a traditional flavor. Then, feel the authentic taste in every single bite!