Miso is one of very popular condiment in Japan, means ‘fermented beans’. As a basic in almost every Japanese menu, no wonder if you will find it nearly everywhere, including in white miso paste. One of the recipes will be revealed here.
For you who only eat non-halal food, good news comes from Japan Halal Association (JHA). Currently, they have used certification to guide people easily. Do not forget to check the information on the label always.
“The signature of this dish is umami. Another thing is the savories that bring the depth and unique touch.”
White Miso Paste’s Nutrition
We know that miso is a great source for protein, zinc, manganese, vitamin K, and copper. Not to mention, the fermentation process makes the good bacteria or probiotics increase in quantity. It is extremely good for your digestion.
If you are prone to hypertension, be aware. Miso contains high salt, make sure to not take it too much, although plenty of researches argues about the benefit of white miso paste for a healthy diet. Unfortunately, more information-digging before taking any conclusion is the best move.
Tofu Steaks Miso Glaze with Egg Strands and Bean Sprout Salad Recipe
Bean sprout salad
- 300 g bean sprout
- 100 g radish, quartered and trimmed nicely
- 1 red pepper, set aside the seed and sliced
- 2 spring onion, diagonally sliced
- 75 g pea shoots
- 50 g roasted peanut
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs lemon juice to replace rice vinegar
- 1 ginger (better the smallest piece), peeled and grated
- 1 tbs sugar
- 3 tbs sunflower oil
- 1 tbs white miso paste
- 400 g tofu
- 75 ml soy sauce
- 150 ml apple vinegar or lemon juice with sugar to replace mirin
- 1 tbs apple vinegar or lemon juice with sugar
- 3 eggs
- 0.5 tsp sunflower oil
- Set up the bean sprout in a bowl full of boiling water. Wait around two minutes. Let it cool and drain. Mix it with spring onion, pepper, and radishes.
- Churn the dressing’s ingredient. Put oil after the sugar dissolved.
- Slowly drop the oil while churning until emulsified.
- Mix the dressing into bean sprout. Make sure the mixture is even.
- Deplete tofu; softly press it until there is no leftover water. Then, cut it.
- For tofu glazed, get 2-tablespoon water in white miso paste inside a cup. Whip it until the liquid is well mixed.
- Prepare a pan and fill it with water. Put the tofu; make sure all side is underwater. Do not stack it up.
- Add soy sauce and apple vinegar; stir it.
- After it is cooked, be careful when taking it outside, especially soft tofu is fragile.
- Preheat the oven to 220oC. While waiting it is hot enough, put tofu in the oven’s tray. The baking process should be no longer than 15 minutes. Once finished, keep it warm.
- To cook the egg, mix with apple vinegar, 2-tablespoon cold water, and additional salt. Then, cook it with medium heat.
- Get the tofu out of the oven; make sure the glaze is not too thick.
- Organize the plating with salad, egg, peanut, and any other condiment.
You can enjoy this delicious food by spending 60 minutes of cooking. It serves at least four people. With the easiness, everyone can try this recipe with white miso paste.